Example: Watching a documentary about Jazz, the Civil Rights Movement, or the history of baseball and putting yourself into the mindset of the time and place to better understand the lives of the people depicted in the film.
Audio Pronunciation: (so·cio·log·i·cal i·mag·in·ation)
Download Audio Pronunciation: sociological imagination.mp3
- Plural: sociological imaginations
- Coined by C. Wright Mills (1916–1962) in 1959 in the Sociological Imagination.
- “The sociological imagination allows us to identify the links between our personal lives and the larger social forces of life—to see that what is happening to us immediately is a minute point at which our personal lives and society intersect” (Hughes and Kroehler 2008:8).
- Word origin of “sociological” and “imagination” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Aronowitz, Stanley. 2004. C. Wright Mills. London: SAGE.
- Kerr, Keith. 2009. Postmodern Cowboy: C. Wright Mills and a New 21st Century Sociology. Boulder, CO: Paradigm.
- Horowitz, Irving Louis. 1983. C. Wright Mills: An American Utopian. New York: Free Press.
- Mills, C. Wright, and John Summers. 2008. The Politics of Truth: Selected Writings of C. Wright Mills. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Mills, C. Wright, and Irving Louis Horowitz. 1967. Power, Politics, and People: The Collected Essays of C. Wright Mills. London: Oxford University Press.
- Mills, C. Wright, Kathryn Mills, and Pamela Mills. 2000. C. Wright Mills Letters and Autobiographical Writings. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Regush, Nicholas M. 1973. Visibles and Invisibles: A Primer for a New Sociological Imagination. Boston: Little, Brown.
- C. Wright Mills’ Sociology: rsu.edu
- Sociological imagination – Wikipedia: wikipedia.org
- The Sociological Imagination: csupomona.edu
- The Sociological Imagination – Wikipedia: wikipedia.org
- The Sociological Imagination – An Overview of the Book by C. Wright Mills: about.com
Hughes, Michael, and Carolyn J. Kroehler. 2008. Sociology: The Core. 8th ed. Boston: McGraw Hill.
Andersen, Margaret L., and Howard Francis Taylor. 2011. Sociology: The Essentials. 6th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Brinkerhoff, David, Lynn White, Suzanne Ortega, and Rose Weitz. 2011. Essentials of Sociology. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Brym, Robert J., and John Lie. 2007. Sociology: Your Compass for a New World. 3rd ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011a. Seeing Sociology: An Introduction. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011b. Sociology: A Global Perspective. 7th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferris, Kerry, and Jill Stein. 2010. The Real World: An Introduction to Sociology. 2nd ed. New York: Norton.
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Henslin, James M. 2012. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 10th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Kendall, Diane. 2011. Sociology in Our Times. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Kimmel, Michael S., and Amy Aronson. 2012. Sociology Now. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Kornblum, William. 2008. Sociology in a Changing World. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Macionis, John, and Kenneth Plummer. 2012. Sociology: A Global Introduction. 4th ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
Marsh, Ian, and Mike Keating, eds. 2006. Sociology: Making Sense of Society. 3rd ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
Ravelli, Bruce, and Michelle Webber. 2016. Exploring Sociology: A Canadian Perspective. 3rd ed. Toronto: Pearson.
Schaefer, Richard. 2013. Sociology: A Brief Introduction. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Shepard, Jon M. 2010. Sociology. 11th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Shepard, Jon M., and Robert W. Greene. 2003. Sociology and You. New York: Glencoe.
Stewart, Paul, and Johan Zaaiman, eds. 2015. Sociology: A Concise South African Introduction. Cape Town: Juta.
Stolley, Kathy S. 2005. The Basics of Sociology. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
Thompson, William E., and Joseph V. Hickey. 2012. Society in Focus: An Introduction to Sociology. 7th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Tischler, Henry L. 2011. Introduction to Sociology. 10th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
How to Cite the Definition of Sociological Imagination
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “sociological imagination.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 25, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/sociological-imagination/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
sociological imagination. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/sociological-imagination/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “sociological imagination.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 25, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/sociological-imagination/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“sociological imagination.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 25 Mar. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/sociological-imagination/>.