(noun) The study of the relationship between society and language.
Example: Sociolinguists study dialects and argots.
Audio Pronunciation: (so·cio·lin·guis·tics)
Download Audio Pronunciation: sociolinguistics.mp3
- A (noun) sociolinguist studies language by researching (adjective) sociolinguistic phenomena.
- Also called sociology of language.
- Hudson, Richard A. 2007. Sociolinguistics. 2nd ed. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press.
- Spencer, Edmund T. 2011. Sociolinguistics. New York: Nova Science.
- Spolsky, Bernard. 2010. Sociolinguistics. 12th ed. Oxford, United Kingdom: Oxford University Press.
- Wardhaugh, Ronald. 2010. An Introduction to Sociolinguistics. Malden, MA: Blackwell
- Do You Speak American? – What is Sociolinguistics?: pbs.org
- Key Journals in Sociolinguistics: mlc.linguistics.georgetown.edu
- Linguistic Resources: utexas.edu