(noun) “[W]hen the government owns and runs the entire health care system” (OpenStax College 2012).
Audio Pronunciation: (so·cial·ized med·i·cine )
Download Audio Pronunciation: socialized medicine .mp3
- Banaszak-Holl, Jane, Sandra Levitsky, and Mayer N. Zald. 2010. Social Movements and the Transformation of American Health Care. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Kronenfeld, Jennie J. 2003. Reorganizing Health Care Delivery Systems: Problems of Managed Care and Other Models of Health Care Delivery. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Purdy, Michael, and David Banks. 2001. The Sociology and Politics of Health: A Reader. London: Routledge.
- Rochefort, David A., and Kevin P. Donnelly. 2012. Foreign Remedies: What the Experience of Other Nations Can Tell Us About Next Steps in Reforming U.S. Health Care. New York: Routledge.
- Weiss, Gregory L., and Lynne E. Lonnquist. 2009. The Sociology of Health, Healing, and Illness. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
OpenStax College. 2012. Comparative Health and Medicine. Connexions, July 16, 2012. (http://cnx.org/content/m42932/1.3/).