Definition of Slash-and-burn
Example of Slash-and-burn
Syllabification: slash and burn
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /slæʃ-ænd-bɜrn/
- British English – /slæʃ-ænd-bɜːn/
- A slashed-and-burned field is fertilized by the ashes of burned vegetation. The cleared land is used until the soil no longer supports growing crops, and it is then abandoned or left fallow. The process then begins again.
- Abandoned slash-and-burn fields are called swiddens.
- Typically, slashing-and-burning occurs in tropical areas for temporary use, but it also occurs in forested areas in temperate climates to create permanent farm lands. This is called assarting.
- Slash-and-burn is a primary subsistence strategy, others include:
- Also called:
- fire-fallow cultivation
- jhoom cultivation
- shifting agriculture
- shifting cultivation
- slash-and-burn agriculture
- swidden agriculture
- swidden farming
- swidden-fallow agriculture
- Ecological and Environmental Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Food and Agriculture Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “slash” and “burn” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Theory + Anthropology – Cultural Ecology: anthrotheory.pbworks.com
- cultural ecology
- cultural environment
- hunting and gathering
- physical environment
- subsistence strategy
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “slash-and-burn.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved April 21, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/slash-and-burn/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
slash-and-burn. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/slash-and-burn/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “slash-and-burn.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed April 21, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/slash-and-burn/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“slash-and-burn.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 21 Apr. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/slash-and-burn/>.