(noun) A type of horticulture that involves cutting and setting fire to vegetation to clear fields for short-term cultivation.
Example: Groups in Asia use the the slash-and-burn method to grow upland rice.
Audio Pronunciation: (slash-and-burn)
Download Audio Pronunciation: slash and burn.mp3
- A slashed-and-burned field is fertilized by the ashes of burned vegetation. The cleared land is used until the soil no longer supports growing crops, and the the field is abandoned or left fallow. The process then begins again.
- Abandoned slash-and-burn fields are called swiddens.
- Typically slashing-and-burning occurs in tropical areas for temporary use but does occur in forested areas in temperate climates to create permanent farm lands and is called assarting.
- Slash-and-burn is a primary subsistence strategy along with agriculture; horticulture; hunting and gathering; industrialism; and pastoralism.
- Also called:
- fire-fallow cultivation
- jhoom cultivation
- shifting agriculture
- shifting cultivation
- slash-and-burn agriculture
- swidden agriculture
- swidden farming
- swidden-fallow agriculture
- Ecological and Environmental Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Food and Agriculture Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “slash” and “burn” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Science Daily – Slash and burn: sciencedaily.com
- Theory + Anthropology – Cultural Ecology: anthrotheory.pbworks.com
- cultural ecology
- cultural environment
- hunting and gathering
- physical environment
- subsistence strategy
How to Cite the Definition of Slash-and-burn
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “slash-and-burn.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 25, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/slash-and-burn/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
slash-and-burn. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/slash-and-burn/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “slash-and-burn.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 25, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/slash-and-burn/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“slash-and-burn.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 25 Mar. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/slash-and-burn/>.