Definition of Self-concept
(noun) The overarching cognitive framework that encompasses one’s various abilities, identities, and values.
Syllabification: self con·cept
- American English – /sElf-kAHn-sept/
- British English – /self-kOn-sept/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /sɛlf-ˈkɑnsɛpt/
- British English – /sɛlf-ˈkɒnsɛpt/
- Plural: self-concepts
- Variant spelling: self concept
- Role Theory Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Sex and Gender Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “self-concept” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Rosenblum, Karen Elaine, and Toni-Michelle Travis. 2016. The Meaning of Difference: American Constructions of Race, Sex and Gender, Social Class, Sexual Orientation, and Disability. 7th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Schneir, Miriam, ed. 1994. Feminism in Our Time: The Essential Writings, World War II to the Present. New York: Vintage Books.
Andersen, Margaret L., and Howard Francis Taylor. 2011. Sociology: The Essentials. 6th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Brinkerhoff, David, Lynn White, Suzanne Ortega, and Rose Weitz. 2011. Essentials of Sociology. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011. Seeing Sociology: An Introduction. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Hughes, Michael, and Carolyn J. Kroehler. 2011. Sociology: The Core. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Kendall, Diana. 2011. Sociology in Our Times. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Shepard, Jon M. 2010. Sociology. 11th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Shepard, Jon M., and Robert W. Greene. 2003. Sociology and You. New York: Glencoe.
Taylor & Francis. (N.d.) Routledge Handbooks Online. (https://www.routledgehandbooks.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Wiley. (N.d.) Wiley Online Library. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2016. “self concept.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 4, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/self-concept/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
self concept. (2016). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/self-concept/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2016. “self concept.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 4, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/self-concept/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“self concept.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2016. Web. 4 Aug. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/self-concept/>.