Definition of Segregated Conjugal-role Relationship
Example of Segregated Conjugal-role Relationship
- In a heterosexual couple, a man does yard work outside the home and a woman does cleaning inside the home.
Etymology of Segregated Conjugal-role Relationship
- Coined by Elizabeth Bott (now Elizabeth Spillius) (1924–2016) in Family and Social Networks: Roles, Norms, and External Relationships in Ordinary Urban Families (1957).
Segregated Conjugal-role Relationship Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- American English
- /sɛɡrɪɡeɪtɪd kɒndʒʊɡəl roʊl rəleɪʃənˌʃɪp/
- /sɛɡrɪɡeɪtɪd kɒndʒʊɡəl roʊl rileɪʃənˌʃɪp/
- British English
- /sɛɡrɪɡeɪtɪd kɒndʒʊɡəl rəʊl rᵻleɪʃnʃɪp/
- American English
- Syllabification: (seg·re·gat·ed con·ju·gal role re·la·tion·ship)
- Plural: segregated conjugal-role relationships
- The term symmetrical family, coined by Michael Young (1915–2002) and Peter Willmott (1923–2000) in The Symmetrical Family (1973), based on research in England, describes the evolution of the family structure towards a more egalitarian model of a joint conjugal-role relationship instead of segregated conjugal-role relationship. The implications and criticisms of this work are frequently discussed in the social sciences.
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Sex and Gender Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “segregate” and “conjugal” and “role” and “relationship” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- blended family
- conjugal family
- divorced family
- extended family
- family life cycle
- family of orientation
- family of procreation
- nuclear family
- single-parent family
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “segregated conjugal-role relationship.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved September 18, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/segregated-conjugal-role-relationship/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
segregated conjugal-role relationship. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/segregated-conjugal-role-relationship/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “segregated conjugal-role relationship.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed September 18, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/segregated-conjugal-role-relationship/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“segregated conjugal-role relationship.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 18 Sep. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/segregated-conjugal-role-relationship/>.