Definition of Role Model
Examples of Role Model
Role Model Pronunciation
Syllabification: role mod·el
- American English – /rOHl mAHd-l/
- British English – /rOHl mOdl/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /roʊl ˈmɑdəl/
- British English – /rəʊl ˈmɒdl/
- Plural: role models
- The terms “role model” and “social role model” are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- A role model does not have to be personally known, it can be a celebrity, historical figure, or politician.
- A type of significant other.
- Variant spellings:
- Role Theory Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “role” and “model” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- role conflict
- role expectation
- role performance
- role reversal
- role segregation
- role set
- role strain
- role taking
- role theory
Ferris, Kerry, and Jill Stein. 2010. The Real World: An Introduction to Sociology. 2nd ed. New York: Norton.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Scott, John, and Gordon Marshall. 2005. A Dictionary of Sociology. New York: Oxford University Press.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “role model.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved February 21, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/role-model/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
role model. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/role-model/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “role model.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed February 21, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/role-model/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“role model.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 21 Feb. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/role-model/>.