Definition of Retrospective Study
Example of Retrospective Study
- Reviewing patients’ medical histories in a city to compare the rates of death among smokers and nonsmokers.
Retrospective Study Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- Syllabification: (ret·ro·spec·tive stud·y)
- Plural: retrospective studies
- Also called historic cohort study.
- Qualitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Quantitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “retrospective” and “study” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- control group
- random sample
- statistical analysis
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “retrospective study.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 24, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/retrospective-study/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
retrospective study. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/retrospective-study/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “retrospective study.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 24, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/retrospective-study/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“retrospective study.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 24 Aug. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/retrospective-study/>.