Definition of Rank Society
(noun) A society that limits access to prestige but not to resources.
Example of Rank Society
Rank Society Pronunciation
Syllabification: rank so·ci·e·ty
- American English – /rAngk suh-sIE-uh-tee/
- British English – /rAngk suh-sIE-uh-tee/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ræŋk səˈsaɪəti/
- British English – /ræŋk səˈsaɪəti/
- Plural: rank societies
- A rank society is compared and contrasted to an egalitarian society and stratified society.
- Word origin of “rank” and “society” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Giddens, Anthony. 1973. The Class Structure of the Advanced Societies. London: Hutchinson.
- Grusky, David B., ed. 2014. Social Stratification: Class, Race, and Gender in Sociological Perspective. 4th ed. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Kerbo, Harold Ray. 2012. Social Stratification and Inequality: Class Conflict in Historical, Comparative, and Global Perspective. 8th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Weber, Max. 1946. From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology, edited by H. H. Gerth and C. W. Mills. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Society – Wikipedia the Free Encyclopedia: en.wikipedia.org
- Types of Society – Sociology Guide: sociologyguide.com
Cite the Definition of Rank Society
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “rank society.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved June 5, 2023 (https://sociologydictionary.org/rank-society/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
rank society. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/rank-society/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “rank society.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed June 5, 2023. https://sociologydictionary.org/rank-society/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“rank society.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 5 Jun. 2023. <https://sociologydictionary.org/rank-society/>.