Definition of Occupational Disease
Example of Occupational Disease
- Office and factory workers are at risk for carpal tunnel syndrome.
Occupational Disease Pronunciation
Syllabification: oc·cu·pa·tion·al dis·ease
- American English – /ahk-yuh-pAY-shuhn-l di-zEEz/
- British English – /ok-yu-pAY-shuh-nuhl di-zEEz/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ɑkjəˈpeɪʃənəl dɪˈziz/
- British English – /ˌɒkju(ː)ˈpeɪʃənl dɪˈziːz/
- Plural: occupational diseases
- An occupational disease can lead to a disability.
- Also called industrial disease.
- Medical Sociology Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “occupational” and “disease” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- acute disease
- chronic disease
- endemic disease
- environmental racism
Bender, David A. 2014. A Dictionary of Food and Nutrition. 4th ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Kent, Michael. 2007. The Oxford Dictionary of Sports Science & Medicine. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Last, John M, ed. 2007. A Dictionary of Public Health. New York: Oxford University Press.
Martin, Elizabeth, ed. 2010. Concise Medical Dictionary. 8th ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Martin, Elizabeth, and Robert Hine, eds. 2008. A Dictionary of Biology. 6th ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Martin, Elizabeth, and Tanya A. McFerran, eds. 2014. A Dictionary of Nursing. 6th ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “occupational disease.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved May 23, 2022 (https://sociologydictionary.org/occupational-disease/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
occupational disease. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/occupational-disease/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “occupational disease.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed May 23, 2022. https://sociologydictionary.org/occupational-disease/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“occupational disease.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 23 May. 2022. <https://sociologydictionary.org/occupational-disease/>.