Definition of NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard)
Example of NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard)
- When they were told that coal seam gas (CSG) would be mined in their area, the people said “NIMBY, Not in my Back Yard”.
NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- American English
- /ˈnɪmbi nɑt ɪn maɪ bæk jɑrd/
- British English
- /ˈnɪmbi nɒt ɪn mʌɪ bak jɑːd/
- American English
- Syllabification: (NIM·BY not in my back yard)
- Variant spelling: nimby
- Word origin of “nimby” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Takahashi, Lois. 1998. Homelessness, AIDS, and Stigmatization: The NIMBY Syndrome in the United States at the End of the Twentieth Century. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
Ferris, Kerry, and Jill Stein. 2010. The Real World: An Introduction to Sociology. 2nd ed. New York: Norton.
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard).” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved October 19, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/nimby-not-in-my-back-yard/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard). (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/nimby-not-in-my-back-yard/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard).” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed October 19, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/nimby-not-in-my-back-yard/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard).” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 19 Oct. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/nimby-not-in-my-back-yard/>.