Audio Pronunciation: (mo·del mi·nor·i·ty)
Download Audio Pronunciation: model minority.mp3
- Plural: model minorities
- Attributed to William Peterson who used the term in “Success Story: Japanese American Style” published by New York Times Magazine in 1966.
- Word origin of “model” and “minority” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Chou, Rosalind S., and Joe R. Feagin. 2015. The Myth of the Model Minority: Asian Americans Facing Racism. 2nd ed. Boulder, CO: Paradigm.
- Fong, Timothy P. 2008. The Contemporary Asian American Experience: Beyond the Model Minority. 3rd ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Gao, Fang. 2010. Becoming a Model Minority: Schooling Experiences of Ethnic Koreans in China. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Hartlep, Nicholas Daniel. 2013. The Model Minority Stereotype: Demystifying Asian American Success. Charlotte, NC: IAP.
- Lee, Stacey J. 1996. Unraveling the “Model Minority” Stereotype: Listening to Asian American Youth. 2nd ed. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Li, Guofang, and Lihshing Wang, eds. 2009. Model Minority Myth Revisited: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Demystifying Asian American Educational Experiences. Charlotte, NC: IAP.
- Wu, Ellen D. 2014. The Color of Success: Asian Americans and the Origins of the Model Minority. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Yook, Eunkyong Lee. 2013. Culture Shock for Asians in U.S. Academia: Breaking the Model Minority Myth. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books
- Model Minority Stereotype for Asian Americans – University of Texas Counseling and Mental Health Center: cmhc.utexas.edu
- Unraveling the Model Minority Myth of Asian American Students: education.com
- master status
- minority group
- reverse discrimination
- scapegoat theory
Abercrombie, Nicholas, Stephen Hill, and Bryan Turner. 2006. The Penguin Dictionary of Sociology. 5th ed. London: Penguin.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Bruce, Steve, and Steven Yearley. 2006. The SAGE Dictionary of Sociology. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Collins English Dictionary: Complete and Unabridged. 6th ed. 2003. Glasgow, Scotland: Collins.
Farlex. (N.d.) TheFreeDictionary.com: Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus. Farlex. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/).
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Jary, David, and Julia Jary. 2000. Collins Dictionary of Sociology. 3rd ed. Glasgow, Scotland: HarperCollins.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Schaefer, Richard. 2013. Sociology: A Brief Introduction. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
How to Cite the Definition of Model Minority
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “model minority.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 21, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/model-minority/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
model minority. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/model-minority/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “model minority.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 21, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/model-minority/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“model minority.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 21 Jan. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/model-minority/>.