Definition of Medical Sociology
(noun) The branch of sociology concerned with the social construction, causes, and effects of disease and health.
Medical Sociology Pronunciation
Syllabification: med·i·cal so·ci·ol·o·gy
- American English – /mEd-i-kuhl soh-see-AH-luh-jee/
- British English – /mE-di-kuhl soh-si-O-luh-jee/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈmɛdɪkəl ˌsoʊsiˈɑləʤi/
- British English – /ˈmɛdɪkəl ˌsəʊsɪˈɒləʤi/
- Medical sociology studies medicalization and demedicalization.
- Medical Sociology Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “medical” and “sociology” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Bradby, Hannah. 2009. Medical Sociology: An Introduction. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Cockerham, William C., ed. 1992. Medical Sociology. 5th ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Kerr, Anne. 2004. Genetics and Society: A Sociology of Disease. London: Routledge.
- Purdy, Michael, and David Banks, eds. 2001. The Sociology and Politics of Health: A Reader. London: Routledge.
- Rogers, Anne, and David Pilgrim. 2005. A Sociology of Mental Health and Illness. 3rd ed. Maidenhead, England: Open University Press.
- Weiss, Gregory L., and Lynne E. Lonnquist. 2017. The Sociology of Health, Healing, and Illness. 9th ed. New York: Routledge.
Bradby, Hannah. 2009. Medical Sociology: An Introduction. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Cite the Definition of Medical Sociology
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “medical sociology.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved April 1, 2023 (https://sociologydictionary.org/medical-sociology/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
medical sociology. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/medical-sociology/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “medical sociology.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed April 1, 2023. https://sociologydictionary.org/medical-sociology/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“medical sociology.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 1 Apr. 2023. <https://sociologydictionary.org/medical-sociology/>.