Definition of Manslaughter
(noun) Homicide without premeditated malice.
- American English – /mAn-slawt-uhr/
- British English – /mAn-slawt-uh/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈmænˌslɑdər/
- British English – /ˈmanˌslɔːtə/
- Plural: manslaughters
- Manslaughter is either voluntary or involuntary and is not the same as murder, which is premeditated.
- The United States legally differentiates between four primary types of homicide. First-degree murder, Second-degree murder, Voluntary Manslaughter (also called Third-degree murder), and Involuntary Manslaughter.
- Crime and Law Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “manslaughter” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
Briggs, Steven M., and Joan Friedman. 2009. Criminology For Dummies. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Siegel, Larry J., and Clemens Bartollas. 2011. Corrections Today. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.
Siegel, Larry J., and John L. Worrall. 2012. Introduction to Criminal Justice. 13th ed. Belmont: CA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.
Siegel, Larry J., and John L. Worrall. 2013. Essentials of Criminal Justice. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.
Taylor & Francis. (N.d.) Routledge Handbooks Online. (https://www.routledgehandbooks.com/)
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
Wiley. (N.d.) Wiley Online Library. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2015. “manslaughter.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 4, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/manslaughter/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
manslaughter. (2015). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/manslaughter/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2015. “manslaughter.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 4, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/manslaughter/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“manslaughter.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2015. Web. 4 Aug. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/manslaughter/>.