(noun) A lack of proper nutrition due to inadequate digestion and absorption, insufficient food, or a poorly balanced diet.
Audio Pronunciation: (mal·nu·tri·tion)
Download Audio Pronunciation: malnutrition.mp3
- Plural: malnutritions
- Malnutrition is defined not as a lack of nutrition, but poor nutrition. For example, kwashiorkor is caused by a diet high in carbohydrates and low in protein.
- The manifested physical effects of malnutrition are called deficiency diseases.
- Word origin of “malnutrition” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Banaszak-Holl, Jane, Sandra Levitsky, and Mayer N. Zald. 2010. Social Movements and the Transformation of American Health Care. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Bradby, Hannah. 2009. Medical Sociology: An Introduction. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Carolan, Michael S. 2012. The Sociology of Food and Agriculture. London: Routledge.
- Dobson, Mary J. 2007. Disease: The Extraordinary Stories Behind History’s Deadliest Killers. London: Quercus.
- Lopata, Helena Znaniecka, and Judith A. Levy, eds. 2003. Social Problems Across the Life Course. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Lutzker, John R., and Joav Merrick, eds. 2012. Applied Public Health: Examining Multifaceted Social or Ecological Problems and Child Maltreatment. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Biomedical.
- Mahoney, Carolyn. 2015. Health, Food and Social Inequality: Critical Perspectives on the Supply and Marketing of Food. Hoboken, NJ: Taylor and Francis.
- Pond, Wilson G., Buford L. Nichols, and Dan L. Brown, eds. 2009. Adequate Food for All: Culture, Science, and Technology of Food in the 21st Century. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Purdy, Michael, and David Banks, eds. 2001. The Sociology and Politics of Health: A Reader. London: Routledge.
- Weiss, Gregory L., and Lynne E. Lonnquist. 2017. The Sociology of Health, Healing, and Illness. 9th ed. New York: Routledge.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Bender, David A. 2014. A Dictionary of Food and Nutrition. 4th ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Collins English Dictionary: Complete and Unabridged. 6th ed. 2003. Glasgow, Scotland: Collins.
Farlex. (N.d.) TheFreeDictionary.com: Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus. Farlex. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/).
Fowler, Henry Watson, and Robert Allen. 2008. Pocket Fowler’s Modern English Usage. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Kent, Michael. 2007. The Oxford Dictionary of Sports Science & Medicine. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Last, John M, ed. 2007. A Dictionary of Public Health. New York: Oxford University Press.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Martin, Elizabeth, ed. 2010. Concise Medical Dictionary. 8th ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Martin, Elizabeth, and Robert Hine, eds. 2008. A Dictionary of Biology. 6th ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Park, Chris C.. 2007. A Dictionary of Environment and Conservation. New York: Oxford University Press.
Princeton University. 2010. WordNet. (https://wordnet.princeton.edu/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Turner, Bryan S., ed. 2006. The Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
How to Cite the Definition of Malnutrition
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “malnutrition.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved June 16, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/malnutrition/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
malnutrition. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/malnutrition/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “malnutrition.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed June 16, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/malnutrition/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“malnutrition.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 16 Jun. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/malnutrition/>.