Audio Pronunciation: (look·ism)
Download Audio Pronunciation: lookism.mp3
- “[F]avoritism for the attractive and discrimination against the unattractive—creates a structure of unequal opportunity, providing unearned advantages to the attractive and disadvantages to the unattractive. While it is often claimed that ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’—that the assessment of attractiveness is a highly subjective matter—in fact there are high levels of agreement about attractiveness that are largely unaffected by the ‘beholder’s’ sex, age, or socioeconomic status. There is even substantial cross-cultural agreement” (McNamee and Miller 2013:208).
- Blaine, Bruce Evan. 2007. Understanding the Psychology of Diversity. Los Angeles: SAGE.
- Etcoff, N. L. 1999. Survival of the Prettiest: The Science of Beauty. New York: Doubleday.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S. 2013. Beauty Pays: Why Attractive People are More Successful. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Miller, Alan S., and Satoshi Kanazawa. 2007. Why Beautiful People Have More Daughters: From Dating, Shopping, and Praying to Going to War and Becoming a Billionaire: Two Evolutionary Psychologists Explain Why We Do What We Do. New York: Perigee Book.
- O’Brien, Jodi. 2009. Encyclopedia of Gender and Society. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Sargeant, Malcolm. 2011. Age Discrimination and Diversity: Multiple Discrimination from an Age Perspective. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press.
McNamee, Stephen J., and Robert K. Miller. 2013. The Meritocracy Myth. 3rd. ed. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
Abercrombie, Nicholas, Stephen Hill, and Bryan Turner. 2006. The Penguin Dictionary of Sociology. 5th ed. London: Penguin.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Bruce, Steve, and Steven Yearley. 2006. The SAGE Dictionary of Sociology. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Collins English Dictionary: Complete and Unabridged. 6th ed. 2003. Glasgow, Scotland: Collins.
Farlex. (N.d.) TheFreeDictionary.com: Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus. Farlex. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/).
Harper, Douglas. (N.d.) Online Etymology Dictionary. (http://www.etymonline.com/).
Hoad, T. F., ed. 1996. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology. New York: Oxford University Press.
Janssen, Sarah, ed. 2015. The World Almanac and Book of Facts 2015. New York: World Almanac Books.
Jary, David, and Julia Jary. 2000. Collins Dictionary of Sociology. 3rd ed. Glasgow, Scotland: HarperCollins.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Princeton University. 2010. WordNet. (https://wordnet.princeton.edu/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Scott, John, and Gordon Marshall. 2005. A Dictionary of Sociology. New York: Oxford University Press.
Turner, Bryan S., ed. 2006. The Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
How to Cite the Definition of Lookism
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “lookism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved May 19, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/lookism/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
lookism. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/lookism/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “lookism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed May 19, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/lookism/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“lookism.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 19 May. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/lookism/>.