Definition of Levirate Marriage
Levirate Marriage Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- Syllabification: (lev·i·rate mar·riage)
- Plural: levirate marriages
- Levirate marriage is typically found in patrilineal societies, in which it preserves descent and property rights along the male line.
- A type of marriage.
- Also called levirate.
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “levirate” and “marriage” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “levirate marriage.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 21, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/levirate-marriage/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
levirate marriage. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/levirate-marriage/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “levirate marriage.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 21, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/levirate-marriage/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“levirate marriage.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 21 Aug. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/levirate-marriage/>.