Definitions of Legitimacy
- (noun) Political support based on the authority and power of public officials, public policy, and the political structure.
- (noun) The rightful exercise of authority, force, and power by an individual or group, particularly an institution that commands and demands obedience.
Examples of Legitimacy
- Definition 1:
- Citizens supporting their government’s decision to go to war with another country.
- Definition 2:
- Seat belt laws are legitimate because the police issue citations that are upheld by the courts, based on laws passed by the legislature.
- American English – /li-jIt-uh-muh-see/
- British English – /li-jIt-i-muh-see/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ləˈdʒɪdəməsi/
- British English – /lᵻˈdʒɪtᵻməsi/
- Plural: legitimacies
- A (noun) legitimator (verb) legitimizes or (verb) legitimatizes something through the process of (noun) legitimation or (noun) legitimization and provides (noun) legitimateness (adverb) legitimately.
Carrabine, Eamonn, Pam Cox, Maggy Lee, Ken Plummer, and Nigel South. 2009. Criminology: A Sociological Introduction. 2nd ed. London: Routledge.
Kimmel, Michael S., and Amy Aronson. 2012. Sociology Now. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Kornblum, William. 2008. Sociology in a Changing World. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “legitimacy.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved February 22, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/legitimacy/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
legitimacy. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/legitimacy/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “legitimacy.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed February 22, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/legitimacy/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“legitimacy.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 22 Feb. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/legitimacy/>.