Definitions of Leadership
- (noun) The capacity or power to convince others to act.
- (noun) The individual or group that is designated to lead.
- (noun) The period of time an individual or group leads.
Examples of Leadership
- Definition 1:
- A charismatic leader charms followers into action.
- Definition 2:
- Captains on a football team.
- Administrators in a bureaucracy.
- Definition 3:
- The reign of a chief or king.
Types of Leadership
- authoritarian leadership
- democratic leadership
- expressive leadership
- instrumental leadership
- laissez-faire leadership
- American English – /lEE-duhr-ship/
- British English – /lEE-duh-ship/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈlidərˌʃɪp/
- British English – /ˈliːdəʃɪp/
- Plural: leaderships
- A (noun) leader (verb) leads through leadership.
- Word origin of “leadership” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Coughlin, Linda, Ellen Wingard, and Keith Hollihan. 2005. Enlightened Power: How Women are Transforming the Practice of Leadership. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Galbraith, John Kenneth, Dick Gilling, and Adrian Malone. 1990. The Age of Uncertainty. DVD. Sydney, NSW: BBC Education and Training.
- Gill, Roger. 2011. Theory and Practice of Leadership. Los Angeles, CA: SAGE.
- Pitcher, Patricia. 1997. The Drama of Leadership. New York: Wiley.
- Rosenbach, William E., Robert L. Taylor, and Mark A. Youndt. 2015. Contemporary Issues in Leadership. 7th ed. Boulder, CO: Westview.
Branscombe, Nyla R., and Robert A. Baron. 2017. Social Psychology. 14th ed. Harlow, England: Pearson.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
O’Leary, Zina. 2007. The Social Science Jargon Buster: The Key Terms You Need to Know. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “leadership.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved October 2, 2022 (https://sociologydictionary.org/leadership/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
leadership. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/leadership/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “leadership.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed October 2, 2022. https://sociologydictionary.org/leadership/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“leadership.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 2 Oct. 2022. <https://sociologydictionary.org/leadership/>.