Definition of Joint Conjugal-role Relationship
Example of Joint Conjugal-role Relationship
Etymology of Joint Conjugal-role Relationship
- Coined by Elizabeth Bott (now Elizabeth Spillius) (1924–2016) in Family and Social Networks: Roles, Norms, and External Relationships in Ordinary Urban Families (1957).
Joint Conjugal-role Relationship Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- American English
- /dʒɔɪnt kɒndʒʊɡəl roʊl rəˈleɪʃənˌʃɪp/
- /dʒɔɪnt kɒndʒʊɡəl roʊl riˈleɪʃənˌʃɪp/
- British English
- /dʒɔɪnt kɒndʒʊɡəl rəʊl rᵻˈleɪʃnʃɪp/
- American English
- Syllabification: (joint con·ju·gal role re·la·tion·ship)
- Plural: joint conjugal role relationships
- The term symmetrical family, coined by Michael Young (1915–2002) and Peter Willmott (1923–2000) in The Symmetrical Family (1973), based on research in England, describing the evolution of the family structure towards a more egalitarian model of a joint conjugal-role relationship instead of segregated conjugal-role relationship. The implications and criticisms of this work are frequently discussed in the social sciences.
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “joint” and “conjugal” and “role” and “relationship” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- blended family
- conjugal family
- divorced family
- family life cycle
- family of orientation
- family planning
- family of procreation
- nuclear family
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “joint conjugal-role relationship.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved September 21, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/joint-conjugal-role-relationship/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
joint conjugal-role relationship. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/joint-conjugal-role-relationship/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “joint conjugal-role relationship.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed September 21, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/joint-conjugal-role-relationship/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“joint conjugal-role relationship.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 21 Sep. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/joint-conjugal-role-relationship/>.