Definition of Intimate Partner Violence
Intimate Partner Violence Pronunciation
Syllabification: in·ti·mate part·ner vi·o·lence
- American English – /In-tuh-muht pAHRt-nuhr vIE-uh-luhns/
- British English – /In-ti-mit pAHt-nuh vIE-uh-luhns/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈɪntəmət ˈpɑrtnər ˈvaɪələns/
- British English – /ˈɪntɪmɪt ˈpɑːtnə ˈvaɪələns/
- Abbreviation: IPV
- Violence can take obvious forms, such as physical abuse, and subtle forms, like psychological abuse. However, subtle forms may include control of an individual’s agency or being, verbal attacks, acts of body language.
- Word origin of “intimate” and “partner” and “violence” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
Ferris, Kerry, and Jill Stein. 2010. The Real World: An Introduction to Sociology. 2nd ed. New York: Norton.
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Kimmel, Michael S., and Amy Aronson. 2012. Sociology Now. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “intimate partner violence.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved April 17, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/intimate-partner-violence/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
intimate partner violence. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/intimate-partner-violence/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “intimate partner violence.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed April 17, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/intimate-partner-violence/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“intimate partner violence.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 17 Apr. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/intimate-partner-violence/>.