Definition of Household Allocative System
(noun) The distribution of financial resources in a household.
Etymology of Household Allocative System
- Term coined by Jan Pahl in Money and Marriage (1989). Pahl determined that household finances were controlled by the husband and wife together, the husband, or the wife. Additionally, Pahl determined that who controlled the household finances was directly related to the socioeconomic status of the household and the role of traditional (patriarchal) or egalitarian norms.
Household Allocative System Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- American English
- /ˈhaʊsˌ(h)oʊld ˈæləˌkeɪdɪv ˈsɪstᵻm/
- British English
- /ˈhaʊs(h)əʊld ˈaləkətɪv ˈsɪstᵻm/
- American English
- Syllabification: (house·hold al·lo·ca·tive sys·tem)
- Plural: household allocative systems
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “household” and “allocate” and “system” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- domestic labor
- head of household
- household work strategy
- joint conjugal-role relationship
- second shift
- segregated conjugal-role relationship
- symmetrical family
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “household allocative system.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved September 17, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/household-allocative-system/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
household allocative system. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/household-allocative-system/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “household allocative system.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed September 17, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/household-allocative-system/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“household allocative system.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 17 Sep. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/household-allocative-system/>.