Definition of Horticulture
(noun) A system of growing crops with hand-held tools, such as a hoe or digging stick, instead of draft animals or machine powered tools.
Example of Horticulture
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈhɔrtɪˌkʌlʧər/
- British English – /ˈhɔːtɪˌkʌltʃə/
- A horticultural society depends on growing plants to meet their food needs.
- Horticulture is a primary subsistence strategy, others include:
- Also called small-scale agriculture.
- A specialist in horticulture is a (noun) horticulturist and studies (adjective) horticultural topics.
- Food and Agriculture Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Ecological and Environmental Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “horticulture” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- cultural ecology
- cultural environment
- hunting and gathering
- physical environment
- slash and burn
- subsistence strategy
Chase-Dunn, Christopher, and Bruce Lerro. 2014. Social Change: Globalization from the Stone Age to the Present. New York: Routledge.
Macionis, John. 2012. Sociology. 14th ed. Boston: Pearson.
Macionis, John, and Kenneth Plummer. 2012. Sociology: A Global Introduction. 4th ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
Scott, John, and Gordon Marshall. 2005. A Dictionary of Sociology. New York: Oxford University Press.
Turner, Bryan S., ed. 2006. The Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “horticulture.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved November 22, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/horticulture/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
horticulture. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/horticulture/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “horticulture.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed November 22, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/horticulture/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“horticulture.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 22 Nov. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/horticulture/>.