Definition of Horizontal Mobility
Example of Horizontal Mobility
- An individual who works at a fast food restaurant leaves that job and gets a similar job at another fast food restaurant.
Horizontal Mobility Pronunciation
Syllabification: hor·i·zon·tal mo·bil·i·ty
- American English – /hor-uh-zAHnt-l moh-bIl-uh-tee/
- British English – /hor-i-zOntl moh-bIl-i-tee/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˌhɔrəˈzɑntəl moʊˈbɪləti/
- British English – /ˌhɒrɪˈzɒntl məʊˈbɪlɪti/
- Plural: horizontal mobilities
- The terms “social mobility” and “horizontal social mobility” are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- Horizontal mobility can include slightly better benefits or pay without changing an individual’s overall position in the class structure.
- intergenerational mobility
- intragenerational mobility
- structural mobility
Ferrante, Joan. 2011a. Seeing Sociology: An Introduction. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011b. Sociology: A Global Perspective. 7th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferris, Kerry, and Jill Stein. 2010. The Real World: An Introduction to Sociology. 2nd ed. New York: Norton.
Hughes, Michael, and Carolyn J. Kroehler. 2011. Sociology: The Core. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Kendall, Diana. 2011. Sociology in Our Times. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Schaefer, Richard. 2013. Sociology: A Brief Introduction. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Shepard, Jon M. 2010. Sociology. 11th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Shepard, Jon M., and Robert W. Greene. 2003. Sociology and You. New York: Glencoe.
Tischler, Henry L. 2011. Introduction to Sociology. 10th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “horizontal mobility.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved October 2, 2023 (https://sociologydictionary.org/horizontal-mobility/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
horizontal mobility. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/horizontal-mobility/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “horizontal mobility.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed October 2, 2023. https://sociologydictionary.org/horizontal-mobility/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“horizontal mobility.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 2 Oct. 2023. <https://sociologydictionary.org/horizontal-mobility/>.