(noun) A clear chain of command found in organizations such as bureaucracies, corporations, governments, or the military.
Audio Pronunciation: (hi·er·ar·chy of au·thor·i·ty)
Download Audio Pronunciation: hierarchy of authority.mp3
- Plural: hierarchy of authorities
- Also informally called pecking order.
- Word origin of “hierarchy” and “authority” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Giddens, Anthony. 1973. The Class Structure of the Advanced Societies. London: Hutchinson.
- Grusky, David B., and Katherine R. Weisshaar. 2014. Social Stratification: Class, Race, and Gender in Sociological Perspective. 4th ed. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Kerbo, Harold Ray. 2012. Social Stratification and Inequality: Class Conflict in Historical, Comparative, and Global Perspective. 8th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Marx, Karl, and Friedrich Engels. 1848. The Communist Manifesto.
- Massey, Douglas S. 2007. Categorically Unequal: The American Stratification System. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
OpenStax College. 2014. Introduction to Sociology. OpenStax CNX.
Note: OpenStax College’s Introduction to Sociology is part of series of textbooks developed by Rice University and released under a Creative Commons License. Other textbooks include Principles of Economics, Psychology, and Introductory Statistics.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
How to Cite the Definition of Hierarchy of Authority
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “hierarchy of authority.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 23, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/hierarchy-of-authority/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
hierarchy of authority. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/hierarchy-of-authority/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “hierarchy of authority.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 23, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/hierarchy-of-authority/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“hierarchy of authority.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 23 Jan. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/hierarchy-of-authority/>.