(noun) A federal program in the United States launched 1965 and expanded in 1981 to provide universal access to emotional, mental, and social support though education, health, and nutrition services to preschool students of low socioeconomic status and their families.
Audio Pronunciation: (Head Start Pro·gram)
Download Audio Pronunciation: Head Start Program.mp3
- Plural: Head Start Programs
- Official Site: http://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeadStartgov
- Twitter: @HeadStartgov
- Word origin of “head” and “start” and “program” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Early Head Start National Resource Center (Washington, DC), and United States. 2005. Early Head Start and Head Start Partnerships: Building a Birth-to-five Head Start Program. Washington, DC: United States Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Administration on Children, Youth and Families, Head Start Bureau.
- Zigler, Edward, and Susan Muenchow. 1992. Head Start: The Inside Story of America’s Most Successful Educational Experiment. New York: Basic Books.
- Zigler, Edward, and Sally J. Styfco. 2004. The Head Start Debates. Baltimore: P. H. Brookes.
- anticipatory socialization
- cultural capital
- formal education
- grade inflation
- No Child Left Behind Act
- social placement
- youth culture
How to Cite the Definition of Head Start Program
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “head start program.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 23, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/head-start-program/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
head start program. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/head-start-program/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “head start program.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 23, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/head-start-program/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“head start program.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 23 Jan. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/head-start-program/>.