Definition of Global Assembly Line
(noun) A distributed manufacturing process that involves product research and development in rich countries and assemblage in poorer countries, typically using the labor of women and children; international division of labor.
Global Assembly Line Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- Syllabification: (glob·al as·sem·bly line)
- Plural: global assembly lines
- Women, particularly in lower classes and castes provide a cheap labor supply working in undesirable or unsafe conditions, making commodities cheaper to produce, even with increased transportation costs.
- Not to be confused with global commodity chain.
- Economic Sociology Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “global” and “assembly” and “line” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- global city
- global commodity chain
- global inequality
- global stratification
- media globalization
- technological diffusion
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “global assembly line.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 22, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/global-assembly-line/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
global assembly line. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/global-assembly-line/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “global assembly line.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 22, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/global-assembly-line/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“global assembly line.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 22 Aug. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/global-assembly-line/>.