Definition of Gender Identification
(noun) The process of identifying with a gender.
Gender Identification Pronunciation
Syllabification: gen·der i·den·ti·fi·ca·tion
- American English – /jEn-duhr ie-den-tuh-fuh-kAY-shuhn/
- British English – /jEn-duh ie-den-ti-fi-kAY-shuhn/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈʤɛndər aɪˌdɛntəfəˈkeɪʃən/
- British English – /ˈʤɛndər aɪˌdɛntɪfɪˈkeɪʃən/
- Plural: gender identifications
- Cognition, conditioning, identification, and imitation are part of the process of gender identification.
- “[M]ost work in the social sciences has used sex to refer to females and males – that is, to chromosomal, hormonal, anatomical, and physiological differences – and gender to describe the socially constructed roles associated with each sex” (Rosenblum and Travis 2012:30).
- Sex and Gender Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “gender” and “identification” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
Rosenblum, Karen Elaine, and Toni-Michelle Travis. 2012. The Meaning of Difference: American Constructions of Race, Sex and Gender, Social Class, Sexual Orientation, and Disability. 6th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “gender identification.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved July 9, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/gender-identification/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
gender identification. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/gender-identification/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “gender identification.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed July 9, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/gender-identification/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“gender identification.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 9 Jul. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/gender-identification/>.