Definition of Gender Binary
(noun) Gender distinctions divided into two categories, namely women and men or feminine or masculine.
Example of Gender Binary
- restroom divided into women or men only
Gender Binary Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- American English
- /ˈdʒɛndər ˈbʌɪnəri/
- British English
- /ˈdʒɛndə ˈbʌɪnəri/
- American English
- Syllabification: (gen·der bi·na·ry)
- Plural: gender binaries
- Also called:
- gender binarism
- Sex and Gender Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “gender” and “binary” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Basow, Susan A. 1992. Gender: Stereotypes and Roles. 3rd ed. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole.
- Warner, Michael. 1999. The Trouble with Normal: Sex, Politics, and the Ethics of Queer Life. New York: Free Press.
- Wilkerson, William S. 2007. Ambiguity and Sexuality: A Theory of Sexual Identity. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “gender binary.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 26, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/gender-binary/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
gender binary. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/gender-binary/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “gender binary.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 26, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/gender-binary/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“gender binary.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 26 Aug. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/gender-binary/>.