Definition of Extralegal Dispute
(noun) An incident that occurs outside the process of law that leads to repeated violence.
Example of Extralegal Dispute
- A disagreement between neighbors that escalates and involves their families or tribes feuding.
Extralegal Dispute Pronunciation
Syllabification: ex·tra·le·gal dis·pute
- American English – /ek-struh-lEEgUHl di-spyOOt/
- British English – /ek-struh-lEEgUHl dIs-pyOOt/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English: /ˌɛkstɹəˈliɡəl dɪˈspjut/
- British English: /ˌekstɹəˈliːg(ə)l (ˈ)dɪsˈpjuːt/
- Plural: extralegal disputes
- Extralegal dispute is contrasted to infralegal dispute.
- Crime and Law Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Politics and Policy Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “dispute” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “extralegal dispute.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 23, 2022 (https://sociologydictionary.org/extralegal-dispute/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
extralegal dispute. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/extralegal-dispute/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “extralegal dispute.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 23, 2022. https://sociologydictionary.org/extralegal-dispute/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“extralegal dispute.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 23 Jan. 2022. <https://sociologydictionary.org/extralegal-dispute/>.