Definition of Euthanasia
(noun) The intentional and typically painless killing of an individual or animal to end suffering.
- American English – eu·tha·na·sia
- British English – eu·than·asia
- American English – /yoo-thuh-nAY-zhuh/
- British English – /yoo-thuh-nAY-ziuh/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˌjuθəˈneɪʒə/
- British English – /juːθəˈneɪzɪə/
- Plural: euthanasias
- Type: physician-assisted suicide
- Also called mercy killing.
- Aging and Social Gerontology Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Death and Dying Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “euthanasia” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- continuity theory
- disengagement theory
- sick role
Brym, Robert J., and John Lie. 2007. Sociology: Your Compass for a New World. 3rd ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Henslin, James M. 2012. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 10th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Hughes, Michael, and Carolyn J. Kroehler. 2011. Sociology: The Core. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Macionis, John. 2012. Sociology. 14th ed. Boston: Pearson.
Ravelli, Bruce, and Michelle Webber. 2016. Exploring Sociology: A Canadian Perspective. 3rd ed. Toronto: Pearson.
Thompson, William E., and Joseph V. Hickey. 2012. Society in Focus: An Introduction to Sociology. 7th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “euthanasia.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 19, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/euthanasia/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
euthanasia. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/euthanasia/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “euthanasia.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 19, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/euthanasia/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“euthanasia.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 19 Jan. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/euthanasia/>.