(noun) The study of how people make sense of and navigate their everyday world through orderly norms and rituals.
Example: Ethnomethodologists have studied behavior change by breaking a norm such as facing the back of an elevator and observing how other passengers react.
Audio Pronunciation: (eth·no·meth·od·ol·o·gy)
Download Audio Pronunciation: ethnomethodology.mp3
- Plural: ethnomethodologies
- Term coined by Harold Garfinkel (1917–2011) in Studies in Ethnomethodology (1967).
- An (noun) ethnomethodologist studies society from the (adjective) ethnomethodologic or (adjective) ethnomethodological perspective to understand social interactions (adverb) ethnomethodologically.
- “[A] number of sociologists regard ethnomethodology as a frivolous approach to studying human behavior because it does not examine the impact of macrolevel social institutions—such as the economy and education—on people’s expectancies. Women’s studies scholars suggest that ethnomethodologists fail to do do what they claim to do: look at how social realities are created. Rather, they rake ascribed statuses (such as race, class, gender, and age) as ‘given,’ not as socially created realities” (Kendall 2006:129).
- Atkinson, J. Maxwell, and John Heritage. 1984. Structures of Social Action: Studies in Conversation Analysis. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press.
- Bologh, Roslyn Wallach. 1992. “The Promise and Failure of Ethnomethodology from a Feminist Perspective: Comment on Rogers.” Gender and Society. 6(2): 199-206.
- Coulon, Alain. 1995. Ethnomethodology. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Garfinkel, Harold. 1967. Studies in Ethnomethodology. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Handel, Warren H. 1982. Ethnomethodology: How People Make Sense. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Have, Paul ten. 2004. Understanding Qualitative Research and Ethnomethodology. London: Sage.
- Livingston, Eric. 1987. Making Sense of Ethnomethodology. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- Lynch, Michael, and W. W. Sharrock. 2011. Ethnomethodology. London: SAGE.
- Scott, Susie. 2009. Making Sense of Everyday Life. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Polity.
- The International Institute for Ethnomethodology and Conversation Analysis: iiemca.org
- WiseGEEK – What is Ethnomethodology: wisegeek.org
Kendall, Diane. 2006. Sociology in Our Times: The Essentials. 5th ed. Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.
Abercrombie, Nicholas, Stephen Hill, and Bryan Turner. 2006. The Penguin Dictionary of Sociology. 5th ed. London: Penguin.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Andersen, Margaret L., and Howard Francis Taylor. 2011. Sociology: The Essentials. 6th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Bruce, Steve, and Steven Yearley. 2006. The SAGE Dictionary of Sociology. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Brym, Robert J., and John Lie. 2007. Sociology: Your Compass for a New World. 3rd ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Dillon, Michele. 2014. Introduction to Sociological Theory: Theorists, Concepts, and their Applicability to the Twenty-First Century. 2nd ed. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011. Seeing Sociology: An Introduction. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferris, Kerry, and Jill Stein. 2010. The Real World: An Introduction to Sociology. 2nd ed. New York: Norton.
Henslin, James M. 2012. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 10th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Hughes, Michael, and Carolyn J. Kroehler. 2011. Sociology: The Core. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Jary, David, and Julia Jary. 2000. Collins Dictionary of Sociology. 3rd ed. Glasgow, Scotland: HarperCollins.
Kendall, Diane. 2011. Sociology in Our Times. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Kimmel, Michael S., and Amy Aronson. 2012. Sociology Now. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Kornblum, William. 2008. Sociology in a Changing World. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Macionis, John. 2012. Sociology. 14th ed. Boston: Pearson.
Macionis, John, and Kenneth Plummer. 2012. Sociology: A Global Introduction. 4th ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Marsh, Ian, and Mike Keating, eds. 2006. Sociology: Making Sense of Society. 3rd ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
O’Leary, Zina. 2007. The Social Science Jargon Buster: the Key Terms You Need to Know. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Princeton University. 2010. WordNet. (https://wordnet.princeton.edu/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Scott, John, and Gordon Marshall. 2005. A Dictionary of Sociology. New York: Oxford University Press.
Shepard, Jon M. 2010. Sociology. 11th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Stolley, Kathy S. 2005. The Basics of Sociology. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
Thompson, William E., and Joseph V. Hickey. 2012. Society in Focus: An Introduction to Sociology. 7th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Tischler, Henry L. 2011. Introduction to Sociology. 10th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Turner, Bryan S., ed. 2006. The Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
How to Cite the Definition of Ethnomethodology
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “ethnomethodology.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 21, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/ethnomethodology/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
ethnomethodology. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/ethnomethodology/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “ethnomethodology.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 21, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/ethnomethodology/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“ethnomethodology.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 21 Jan. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/ethnomethodology/>.