Definition of Egocentrism
(noun) Concern for your own interests and well-being over all others; self-centeredness.
- IPA Pronunciation
- Syllabification: (e·go·cen·trism)
- Plural: egocentrisms
- Egocentrism is the opposite of altruism.
- Also called egocentricity.
- An (noun) egocentrist exhibits egocentrism (adverb) egocentristically in an (adjective) egocentric or (adjective) egocentristic manner.
- “Having designated as ‘egoism’ the condition in which the ego pursues its own life and is obedient only to itself, the designation ‘altruism‘ adequately expresses the opposite condition in which the ego is not its own property. It is blended with something other than itself, and the goal of conduct is external to itself, that is, in one of the groups in which it participates. Thus we call the suicide caused by intense altruism ‘altruistic suicide'” (Durkheim  2004:77).
- Word origin of “egocentric” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Windschitl, Paul D., Jason P. Rose, Michael T. Stalkfleet, and Andrew R. Smith. 2008. “Are People Excessive or Judicious in their Egocentrism? A Modeling Approach to Understanding Bias and Accuracy in People’s Optimism.” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 95(2):253–73. doi:10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.199.
Durkheim, Émile.  2004. “Suicide.” Pp. 65–83 in Readings from Emile Durkheim. Rev. ed., edited and translated by K. Thompson. New York: Routledge.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “egocentrism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 24, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/egocentrism/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
egocentrism. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/egocentrism/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “egocentrism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 24, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/egocentrism/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“egocentrism.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 24 Aug. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/egocentrism/>.