Definition of Economic Determinism
Economic Determinism Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- Syllabification: (ec·o·nom·ic de·ter·min·ism)
- Plural: economic determinisms
- Not to be confused with economic reductionism.
- A type of determinism.
- Also called economism.
- An (noun) economic determinist views society (adverb) economic deterministically from a (adjective) economic deterministic perspective.
- “The capitalistic economy of the present day is an immense cosmos into which the individual is born, and which presents itself to him, at least as an individual, as an unalterable order of things in which he must live. It forces the individual, in so far as he is involved in the system of market relationships, to conform to capitalistic rules of action. The manufacturer who, in the long run, acts contrary to these norms, will just as inevitably be eliminated from the economic scene as the worker who cannot or will not adapt himself to them will be thrown into the streets without a job” (Weber [1904–5] 1930:19–20).
- Economic Sociology Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “economic” and “determinism” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
Weber, Max. [1904–1905] 1930. The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism. Translated by T. Parsons. London: Allen and Unwin.
Note: Page number is from a reprinted edition, Routledge Classics (2001).
Bilton, Tony, Kevin Bonnett, Pip Jones, David Skinner, Michelle Stanworth, and Andrew Webster. 1996. Introductory Sociology. 3rd ed. London: Macmillan.
Brinkerhoff, David, Lynn White, Suzanne Ortega, and Rose Weitz. 2011. Essentials of Sociology. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Shepard, Jon M. 2010. Sociology. 11th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Thorpe, Christopher, Chris Yuill, Mitchell Hobbs, Sarah Tomley, and Marcus Weeks. 2015. The Sociology Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained. London: Dorling Kindersley.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “economic determinism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 24, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/economic-determinism/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
economic determinism. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/economic-determinism/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “economic determinism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 24, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/economic-determinism/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“economic determinism.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 24 Aug. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/economic-determinism/>.