Definition of Divorced Family
Divorced Family Pronunciation
Syllabification: di·vorced fam·i·ly
- American English – /duh-vORst fAm-lee/
- British English – /di-vAWst fAm-uhl-ee/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /dɪˈvɔrst ˈfæməli/
- British English – /dɪˈvɔːst ˈfæmɪli/
- Plural: divorced families
- A divorced family is often a single-parent family, if one of these family types joins with another it is called a blended family.
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “divorce” and “family” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Emery, Robert E. 2013. Cultural Sociology of Divorce: An Encyclopedia. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Reference.
- Finch, Janet. 1989. Family Obligations and Social Change. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Hackstaff, Karla B. 1999. Marriage in a Culture of Divorce. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Phillips, Roderick. 1988. Putting Asunder: A History of Divorce in Western Society. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Wallerstein, Judith S., Julia Lewis, and Sandra Blakeslee. 2000. The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce: A 25 Year Landmark Study. New York: Hyperion.
- Yodanis, Carrie. 2005. “Divorce Culture and Marital Gender Equality: A Cross-national Study.” Gender & Society 19(5):644–59. doi:10.1177/0891243205278166.
- covenant marriage
- deinstitutionalization of marriage
- divorce probability
- gray divorce
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “divorced family.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved February 5, 2023 (https://sociologydictionary.org/divorced-family/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
divorced family. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/divorced-family/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “divorced family.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed February 5, 2023. https://sociologydictionary.org/divorced-family/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“divorced family.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 5 Feb. 2023. <https://sociologydictionary.org/divorced-family/>.