Definition of Divorce Probability
(noun) The likelihood (probability) that a marriage will end in divorce over a given period of time.
Example of Divorce Probability
- The chance that a marriage will end in the first 10 years.
Divorce Probability Pronunciation
Syllabification: di·vorce prob·a·bil·i·ty
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /dɪˈvɔrs ˌprɑbəˈbɪləti/
- British English – /dɪˈvɔːs ˌprɒbəˈbɪlɪti/
- Plural: divorce probabilities
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Quantitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “divorce” and “probability” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Emery, Robert E. 2013. Cultural Sociology of Divorce: An Encyclopedia. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Reference.
- Hackstaff, Karla B. 1999. Marriage in a Culture of Divorce. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Phillips, Roderick. 1988. Putting Asunder: A History of Divorce in Western Society. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Wallerstein, Judith S., Julia Lewis, and Sandra Blakeslee. 2000. The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce: A 25 Year Landmark Study. New York: Hyperion.
- Yodanis, Carrie. 2005. “Divorce Culture and Marital Gender Equality: A Cross-national Study.” Gender & Society 19(5):644–59. doi:10.1177/0891243205278166.
- covenant marriage
- divorce rate
- divorced family
- quantitative research
Cite the Definition of Divorce Probability
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “divorce probability.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 28, 2023 (https://sociologydictionary.org/divorce-probability/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
divorce probability. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/divorce-probability/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “divorce probability.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 28, 2023. https://sociologydictionary.org/divorce-probability/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“divorce probability.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 28 Mar. 2023. <https://sociologydictionary.org/divorce-probability/>.