(noun) An approach to research that employs emotional detachment coupled with limited interaction and the creation of categories for classifying observations.
Example: Researching types of behavior expressed by football fans by only viewing recordings.
Audio Pronunciation: (de·tached ob·ser·va·tion)
Download Audio Pronunciation: detached observation.mp3
- Plural: detached observations
- Detached observation is compared and contrasted with participant observation.
- Word origin of “detach” and “observation” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Atkinson, Paul. 1990. The Ethnographic Imagination: Textual Constructions of Reality. London: Routledge.
- Babbie, Earl. 2013. The Practice of Social Research. 13th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- Behar, Ruth. 1996. The Vulnerable Observer: Anthropology That Breaks Your Heart. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Bryman, Alan. 2016. Social Research Methods. 5th ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Emerson, Robert M., Rachel I. Fretz, and Linda L. Shaw. 2011. Writing Ethnographic Fieldnotes. 2nd ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Ferrell, Jeff, and Mark S. Hamm, eds. 1998. Ethnography at the Edge: Crime, Deviance, and Field Research. Boston: Northeastern University Press.
- Hine, Christine. 2000. Virtual Ethnography. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Lawson, Helene M. 2000. Ladies on the Lot: Women, Car Sales, and the Pursuit of the American Dream. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Madden, Raymond. 2010. Being Ethnographic: A Guide to the Theory and Practice of Ethnography. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Neyland, Daniel. 2008. Organizational Ethnography. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Rossman, Gretchen B., and Sharon F. Rallis. 2012. Learning in the Field: An Introduction to Qualitative Research. 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Singleton, Royce, Jr., and Bruce C. Straits. 2017. Approaches to Social Research. 6th ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Sunstein, Bonnie S., and Elizabeth Chiseri-Strater. 2012. Fieldworking: Reading and Writing Research. 4th ed. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin’s Press.
- Van Maanen, John. 2011. Tales of the Field: On Writing Ethnography. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Websdale, Neil. 1998. Rural Woman Battering and the Justice System: An Ethnography. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Wolcott, Harry F. 2009. Writing Up Qualitative Research. 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Conducting Field Research: writing.colostate.edu
- Institute for Field Research: ifrglobal.org
Abercrombie, Nicholas, Stephen Hill, and Bryan Turner. 2006. The Penguin Dictionary of Sociology. 5th ed. London: Penguin.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Bruce, Steve, and Steven Yearley. 2006. The SAGE Dictionary of Sociology. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Collins English Dictionary: Complete and Unabridged. 6th ed. 2003. Glasgow, Scotland: Collins.
Jary, David, and Julia Jary. 2000. Collins Dictionary of Sociology. 3rd ed. Glasgow, Scotland: HarperCollins.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Princeton University. 2010. WordNet. (https://wordnet.princeton.edu/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Scott, John, and Gordon Marshall. 2005. A Dictionary of Sociology. New York: Oxford University Press.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
How to Cite the Definition of Detached Observation
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “detached observation.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 22, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/detached-observation/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
detached observation. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/detached-observation/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “detached observation.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 22, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/detached-observation/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“detached observation.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 22 Mar. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/detached-observation/>.