(noun) A political system in which people vote directly on policy issues or through elected officials that represent them.
Audio Pronunciation: (de·moc·ra·cy)
Download Audio Pronunciation: democracy.mp3
- Plural: democracies
- When democracy is introduced to a culture, the existing political system is (verb) democratized to become more (adjective) democratic.
- The spirit of democracy is called democratism.
- Word origin of “democracy” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Axtmann, Roland, ed. 2003. Understanding Democratic Politics. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Berman, Larry, and Bruce Allen Murphy. 2013. Approaching Democracy. 8th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
- Calhoun, C. 2007. Nations Matter: Culture, History and the Cosmopolitan Dream. London: Routledge.
- Dahl, Robert A. 1989. Democracy and its Critics. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Dasgupta, Samir, and Jan Nederveen Pieterse. 2009. Politics of Globalization. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Duncan, Graeme Campbell. 1983. Democratic Theory and Practice. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press.
- Dunn, John. 2006. Democracy: A History. Toronto: Penguin.
- Fukuyama, Francis. 1992. The End of History and the Last Man. London: Hamish Hamilton.
- Fukuyama, Francis. 2014. Political Order and Political Decay: From the Industrial Revolution to the Globalization of Democracy. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- Goodin, Robert E. 2008. Innovating Democracy: Democratic Theory and Practice after the Deliberative Turn. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Held, David. 2006. Models of Democracy. 3rd ed. Cambridge: Polity.
- Jaquette, Jane S., and Sharon L. Wolchik. 1998. Women and Democracy: Latin America and Central and Eastern Europe. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Landman, Todd, and Neil Robinson. 2009. The SAGE Handbook of Comparative Politics. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Lane, Jan-Erik, and Svante O. Ersson. 1999. Politics and Society in Western Europe. 4th ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Lively, Jack. 1975. Democracy. New York: St. Martin’s Press.
- Lupu, N., and S. Stokes. 2010. “Democracy, Interrupted: Regime Change and Partisanship in Twentieth-Century Argentina.” Electoral Studies 29(1):91–104. doi:10.1016/j.electstud.2009.07.005.
- Nagle, John D., and Alison Mahr. 1999. Democracy and Democratization: Post-communist Europe in Comparative Perspective. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Przeworski, Adam. 1993. Democracy and the Market: Political and Economic Reforms in Eastern Europe and Latin America. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Rodrik, Dani. 2012. The Globalization Paradox: Democracy and the Future of the World Economy. New York: Norton.
- Schumpeter, Joseph Alois. 1943. Capitalism, Socialism and Democracy. London: Routledge.
- Shapiro, Ian. 2003. The State of Democratic Theory. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Singh, Robert. 2003. American Government and Politics: A Concise Introduction. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Tocqueville, Alexis de. 1835. Democracy in America.
- Wolin, Sheldon S. 2008. Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Introduction to Sociology/Politics – Wikibooks: wikibooks.org
- Word origin of “democracy” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Theories of Democracy – Sociology: boundless.com
Abercrombie, Nicholas, Stephen Hill, and Bryan Turner. 2006. The Penguin Dictionary of Sociology. 5th ed. London: Penguin.
Andersen, Margaret L., and Howard Francis Taylor. 2011. Sociology: The Essentials. 6th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Brinkerhoff, David, Lynn White, Suzanne Ortega, and Rose Weitz. 2011. Essentials of Sociology. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Brym, Robert J., and John Lie. 2007. Sociology: Your Compass for a New World. 3rd ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Calhoun, Craig J., ed. 2002. Dictionary of the Social Sciences. New York: Oxford University Press.
Cane, Peter, and Joanne Conaghan, eds. 2008. The New Oxford Companion to Law. New York: Oxford University Press.
Castree, Noel, Rob Kitchin, and Alisdair Rogers. 2013. A Dictionary of Human Geography. New York: Oxford University Press.
Dillon, Michele. 2014. Introduction to Sociological Theory: Theorists, Concepts, and their Applicability to the Twenty-First Century. 2nd ed. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
Downs, Anthony. 1957. An Economic Theory of Democracy. New York: Harper Collins.
Farlex. (N.d.) TheFreeDictionary.com: Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus. Farlex. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/).
Ferrante, Joan. 2011. Sociology: A Global Perspective. 7th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Giddens, Anthony, and Philip W. Sutton. 2014. Essential Concepts in Sociology. Cambridge: Polity.
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Harcup, Tony. 2014. A Dictionary of Journalism. New York: Oxford University Press.
Henslin, James M. 2012. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 10th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Honderich, Ted., ed. 2005. The Oxford Companion to Philosophy. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Hughes, Michael, and Carolyn J. Kroehler. 2011. Sociology: The Core. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Jary, David, and Julia Jary. 2000. Collins Dictionary, Sociology. 3rd ed. Glasgow, Scotland: HarperCollins.
Kendall, Diane. 2011. Sociology in Our Times. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Kimmel, Michael S., and Amy Aronson. 2012. Sociology Now. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Kornblum, William. 2008. Sociology in a Changing World. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Macionis, John. 2012. Sociology. 14th ed. Boston: Pearson.
Macionis, John, and Kenneth Plummer. 2012. Sociology: A Global Introduction. 4th ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
Marsh, Ian, and Mike Keating, eds. 2006. Sociology: Making Sense of Society. 3rd ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
McLean, Iain, and Alistair McMillan. 2009. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Politics. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
O’Leary, Zina. 2007. The Social Science Jargon Buster: the Key Terms You Need to Know. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
OpenStax College. 2014. Introduction to Sociology. OpenStax CNX.
Note: OpenStax College’s Introduction to Sociology is part of series of textbooks developed by Rice University and released under a Creative Commons License. Other textbooks include Principles of Economics, Psychology, and Introductory Statistics.
Princeton University. 2010. WordNet. Princeton University. (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wordnet).
Ravelli, Bruce, and Michelle Webber. 2016. Exploring Sociology: A Canadian Perspective. 3rd ed. Toronto: Pearson.
Schaefer, Richard. 2013. Sociology: A Brief Introduction. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Scott, John, and Gordon Marshall. 2005. A Dictionary of Sociology. New York: Oxford University Press.
Shepard, Jon M. 2010. Sociology. 11th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Stewart, Paul, and Johan Zaaiman, eds. 2015. Sociology: A Concise South African Introduction. Cape Town: Juta.
Thompson, William E., and Joseph V. Hickey. 2012. Society in Focus: An Introduction to Sociology. 7th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Tischler, Henry L. 2011. Introduction to Sociology. 10th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Turner, Bryan S., ed. 2006. The Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
How to Cite the Definition of Democracy
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “democracy.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 21, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/democracy/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
democracy. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/democracy/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “democracy.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 21, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/democracy/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“democracy.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 21 Jan. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/democracy/>.