Definition of Deinstitutionalization of Marriage
Examples of Deinstitutionalization of Marriage
Deinstitutionalization of Marriage Pronunciation
- Syllabification: (de·in·sti·tu·tion·al·i·za·tion of mar·riage)
- Plural: deinstitutionalizations of marriage
- Variant spelling: de-institutionalizations of marriage
- “By deinstitutionalization I mean the weakening of the social norms that define people’s behavior in a social institution such as marriage. In times of social stability, the taken-for-granted nature of norms allows people to go about their lives without having to question their actions or the actions of others. But when social change produces situations outside the reach of established norms, individuals can no longer rely on shared understandings of how to act. Rather, they must negotiate new ways of acting, a process that is a potential source of conflict and opportunity. On the one hand, the development of new rules is likely to engender disagreement and tension among the relevant actors. On the other hand, the breakdown of the old rules of a gendered institution such as marriage could lead to the creation of a more egalitarian relationship between wives and husbands” (Cherlin 2004:848).
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “deinstitutionalization” and “marriage” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- common-law marriage
- family of orientation
- family of procreation
- extended family
- open marriage
Cherlin, Andrew J. 2004. “The Deinstitutionalization of American Marriage.” Journal of Marriage and Family 66(4):848–61. doi:10.1111/j.0022-2445.2004.00058.x.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “deinstitutionalization of marriage.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved September 18, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/deinstitutionalization-of-marriage/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
deinstitutionalization of marriage. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/deinstitutionalization-of-marriage/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “deinstitutionalization of marriage.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed September 18, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/deinstitutionalization-of-marriage/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“deinstitutionalization of marriage.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 18 Sep. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/deinstitutionalization-of-marriage/>.