Definition of Cultural Pluralism
(noun) A mixing of different cultures in which each culture retains its own unique identity, often referred to as the “salad bowl.”
Example of Cultural Pluralism
- A cultural district in a major metropolitan area such as China Town in Sydney, Australia.
Cultural Pluralism Pronunciation
Syllabification: cul·tur·al plu·ral·ism
- American English – /kUHl-chuhr-ruhl plUR-uh-liz-uhm/
- British English – /kUHl-chuh-ruhl plUUH-ruh-li-zuhm/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈkʌlʧərəl ˈplʊrəˌlɪzəm/
- British English – /ˈkʌlʧərəl ˈplʊərəlɪzm/
- Plural: cultural pluralisms
- Cultural pluralistic areas and residents are integrated into society, such as immigrants learning the language, laws, and mores of their new home.
- A (noun) cultural pluralist advocates for a (adjective) cultural pluralistic world view.
- cultural contact
- social acceptance
Abercrombie, Nicholas, Stephen Hill, and Bryan Turner. 2006. The Penguin Dictionary of Sociology. 5th ed. London: Penguin.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Jary, David, and Julia Jary. 2000. Collins Dictionary of Sociology. 3rd ed. Glasgow, Scotland: HarperCollins.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
O’Leary, Zina. 2007. The Social Science Jargon Buster: The Key Terms You Need to Know. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Princeton University. 2010. WordNet. (https://wordnet.princeton.edu/).
Ravelli, Bruce, and Michelle Webber. 2016. Exploring Sociology: A Canadian Perspective. 3rd ed. Toronto: Pearson.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Cite the Definition of Cultural Pluralism
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2015. “cultural pluralism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved June 5, 2023 (https://sociologydictionary.org/cultural-pluralism/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
cultural pluralism. (2015). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/cultural-pluralism/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2015. “cultural pluralism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed June 5, 2023. https://sociologydictionary.org/cultural-pluralism/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“cultural pluralism.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2015. Web. 5 Jun. 2023. <https://sociologydictionary.org/cultural-pluralism/>.