Definition of Cultural Contact
Examples of Cultural Contact
- When a foreign exchange student visits their host country.
- When Native Americans in North America met Europeans for the first time.
Cultural Contact Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- Syllabification: (cul·tur·al con·tact)
- Plural: cultural contacts
- After cultural contact occurs, acculturation describes what happens on a societal and cultural level and enculturation describes what happens on an individual level.
- Sociologist study how innovations lead to social acceptance in a cross-cultural dimension such as how different societies react to the rise of the Internet.
- Also called cultural accommodation.
- “The kind of person we become depends greatly on what we learn during our formative years from our surrounding social groups and social environment” (Kendall 2006:105).
- Word origin of “cultural” and “contact” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Baron, Robert A., and Ana C. Cara. 2011. Creolization as Cultural Creativity. Jackson, MI: University Press of Mississippi.
- Blum-Kulka, Shoshana. 1997. Dinner Talk: Cultural Patterns of Sociability and Socialization in Family Discourse. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Chari, Sharad, and Stuart Corbridge, eds. 2008. The Development Reader. London: Routledge.
- Cherry, Andrew L. 1994. The Socializing Instincts: Individual, Family, and Social Bonds. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Hoerder, Dirk. 2011. Cultures in Contact: World Migrations in the Second Millennium. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- Maynard, Ashley E., and Mary I. Martini, eds. 2005. Learning in Cultural Context: Family, Peers, and School. New York: Springer.
- Paterson, Alistair. 2011. A Millennium of Cultural Contact. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast.
- Rogoff, Barbara. 2003. The Cultural Nature of Human Development. New York: Oxford University Press.
Kendall, Diana. 2006. Sociology in Our Times: The Essentials. 5th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Abercrombie, Nicholas, Stephen Hill, and Bryan Turner. 2006. The Penguin Dictionary of Sociology. 5th ed. London: Penguin.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Bruce, Steve, and Steven Yearley. 2006. The SAGE Dictionary of Sociology. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Collins English Dictionary: Complete and Unabridged. 6th ed. 2003. Glasgow, Scotland: Collins.
Jary, David, and Julia Jary. 2000. Collins Dictionary of Sociology. 3rd ed. Glasgow, Scotland: HarperCollins.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Princeton University. 2010. WordNet. (https://wordnet.princeton.edu/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Scott, John, and Gordon Marshall. 2005. A Dictionary of Sociology. New York: Oxford University Press.
Turner, Bryan S., ed. 2006. The Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “cultural contact.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 24, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/cultural-contact/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
cultural contact. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/cultural-contact/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “cultural contact.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 24, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/cultural-contact/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“cultural contact.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 24 Aug. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/cultural-contact/>.