Definition of Cultivated
(adjective) Polished and refined in education, manners, and taste.
Example of Cultivated
- Knowledge of proper table manners and dining etiquette.
- American English – /kUHl-tuh-vay-tuhd/
- British English – /kUHl-ti-vay-tid/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈkəltəˌveɪdᵻd/
- British English – /ˈkʌltᵻveɪtᵻd/
- Individuals develop cultivation through anticipatory socialization both formally and informally, and serving as a marker of cultural capital.
- Cultivated is contrasted with unrefined.
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Cite the Definition of Cultivated
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “cultivated.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved June 5, 2023 (https://sociologydictionary.org/cultivated/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
cultivated. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/cultivated/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “cultivated.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed June 5, 2023. https://sociologydictionary.org/cultivated/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“cultivated.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 5 Jun. 2023. <https://sociologydictionary.org/cultivated/>.