(noun) The tendency to favor close friends and associates over more qualified applicants for employment, promotions, or in business deals.
Example: The new president of a company hiring three, less than qualified friends to fill top management positions.
Audio Pronunciation: (cro·ny·ism)
Download Audio Pronunciation: cronyism.mp3
- A crony is close friend.
- Crony capitalism refers to any type of capitalism in which businessmen and politicians have close relationships and is typically considered a type of corruption.
- Cronyism is informally referred to as the old boys’ network.
- Cronyism is often compared to nepotism.
- Cronyism is contrasted to a meritocracy.
- Word origin of “cronyism” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Norhashim, Mariati, and Kamarulzaman Ab Aziz. 2005. “Smart Partnership or Cronyism? A Malaysian Perspective.” International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy 25(8):31–48. doi:10.1108/01443330510629081.
- Cronyism – World Wide Words: worldwidewords.org
- Favoritism, Cronyism, and Nepotism – Markkula Center for Applied Ethics: scu.edu
- anticipatory socialization
- peer group
- social network
Collins English Dictionary: Complete and Unabridged. 6th ed. 2003. Glasgow, Scotland: Collins.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
How to Cite the Definition of Cronyism
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “cronyism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved December 16, 2018 (https://sociologydictionary.org/cronyism/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
cronyism. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/cronyism/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “cronyism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed December 16, 2018. https://sociologydictionary.org/cronyism/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“cronyism.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 16 Dec. 2018. <https://sociologydictionary.org/cronyism/>.