(noun) Paying women the same as men to complete different but equally demanding work based on the education and experience required to do them and the level of responsibility and stress related to them.
Audio Pronunciation: (com·par·able worth)
Download Audio Pronunciation: comparable worth.mp3
- Plural: comparable worths
- A key limitation in the idea of comparable worth is how to determine the “worth” of various jobs.
- Also called:
- sex equity
- pay equity
- Word origin of “comparable” and “worth” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Dennis, Rutledge M. 2005. Marginality, Power and Social structure: Issues in Race, Class, and Gender Analysis. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Richardson, Laurel. 1988. The Dynamics of Sex and Gender: A Sociological Perspective. New York: Harper & Row.
- Schneir, Miriam. 1994. Feminism in Our Time: The Essential Writings, World War II to the Present. New York: Vintage Books.
Brym, Robert J., and John Lie. 2007. Sociology: Your Compass for a New World. 3rd ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Farlex. (N.d.) TheFreeDictionary.com: Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus. Farlex. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/).
Kendall, Diane. 2011. Sociology in Our Times. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
How to Cite the Definition of Comparable Worth
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “comparable worth.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 24, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/comparable-worth/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
comparable worth. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/comparable-worth/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “comparable worth.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 24, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/comparable-worth/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“comparable worth.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 24 Mar. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/comparable-worth/>.