Audio Pronunciation: (com·mon-law mar·riage)
Download Audio Pronunciation: common-law marriage.mp3
- Plural: common-law marriages
- The legal requirements for a common-law marriage vary by locality.
- A type of affinity and cohabitation.
- Variant form: common law marriage
- Also called:
- common-law (common law)
- informal marriage
- marriage by habit and repute
- sui juris marriage
- Common-law marriage used in a sentence: Common-law marriage in United States is only available in a few locations such as Texas.
- Word origin of “common-law” and “marriage” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Abbott, Elizabeth. 2011. A History of Marriage: From Same Sex Unions to Private Vows and Common Law, the Surprising Diversity of a Tradition. New York: Seven Stories Press.
- Coltrane, Scott. 2004. Families and Society: Classic and Contemporary Readings. Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.
- Posner, Richard A. 1992. Sex and Reason. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Princeton University. 2010. WordNet. (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wordnet/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
How to Cite the Definition of Common-law Marriage
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “common-law marriage.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved December 12, 2018 (https://sociologydictionary.org/common-law-marriage/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
common-law marriage. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/common-law-marriage/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “common-law marriage.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed December 12, 2018. https://sociologydictionary.org/common-law-marriage/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“common-law marriage.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 12 Dec. 2018. <https://sociologydictionary.org/common-law-marriage/>.