- American Sociological Association’s Code of Ethics
- The Australia Sociological Association’s Ethical Guidelines
- British Sociological Association’s Statement of Ethical Practice
- International Sociological Association’s Code of Ethics
Audio Pronunciation: (code of eth·ics)
Download Audio Pronunciation: code of ethics.mp3
- Plural: codes of ethics
- Ethical concerns in research focus on anonymity, coercion, confidentiality, discomfort, informed consent, respect, and stress.
- Proper ethical guidelines must be followed to properly collect, analyze, report, and disseminate any information gained through research.
- Codes of ethics are dynamic, adapting to new technologies and public opinions. Codes of ethics are in place to avoid ethical abuses such as the infamous Milgram Experiment by Stanley Milgram (1933–1984), Stanford Prison Experiment (SPE) by Philip George Zimbardo (1933) and Tearoom Trade: Impersonal Sex in Public Places by Laud Humphreys (1930–1988).
- Also called:
- ethical code
- ethical guidelines
- professional code of ethics
- Word origin of “code” and “ethics” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Tierney, Patrick. 2000. Darkness in El Dorado: How Scientists and Journalists Devastated the Amazon. New York: Norton.
Ferris, Kerry, and Jill Stein. 2010. The Real World: An Introduction to Sociology. 2nd ed. New York: Norton.
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Hughes, Michael, and Carolyn J. Kroehler. 2011. Sociology: The Core. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Schaefer, Richard. 2013. Sociology: A Brief Introduction. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Stewart, Paul, and Johan Zaaiman, eds. 2015. Sociology: A Concise South African Introduction. Cape Town: Juta.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
How to Cite the Definition of Code of Ethics
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “code of ethics.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved June 27, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/code-of-ethics/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
code of ethics. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/code-of-ethics/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “code of ethics.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed June 27, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/code-of-ethics/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“code of ethics.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 27 Jun. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/code-of-ethics/>.