Definition of Coalition
Example of Coalition
- IPA Pronunciation
- Syllabification: (co·a·li·tion)
- Plural: coalitions
- Coalitions can be permanent or temporary.
- Georg Simmel (1858–1918) noted that the difference between a dyad (group of two) and triad (group of three) in addition to larger groups is there are opportunities in a triad for two members to form a coalition against the other.
- A (noun) coalitionist or (noun) coalitioner uses (adjective) coalitional or (adjective) coalitionary methods to achieve certain goals.
- Word origin of “coalition” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Browne, Eric C. 1973. Coalition Theories: A Logical and Empirical Critique. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Caplow, Theodore. 1968. Two Against One: Coalitions in Triads. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Ferree, Myra Marx, and Beth B. Hess. 2000. Controversy and Coalition: The New Feminist Movement across Three Decades of Change. London: Routledge.
- Hinckley, Barbara. 1975. Coalitions and Time: Cross-disciplinary Studies. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Wilson, William J. 2001. The Bridge over the Racial Divide: Rising Inequality and Coalition Politics. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
Collins English Dictionary: Complete and Unabridged. 6th ed. 2003. Glasgow, Scotland: Collins.
Henslin, James M. 2012. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 10th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Schaefer, Richard. 2013. Sociology: A Brief Introduction. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “coalition.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 24, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/coalition/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
coalition. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/coalition/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “coalition.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 24, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/coalition/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“coalition.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 24 Aug. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/coalition/>.