Audio Pronunciation: (class sys·tem)
Download Audio Pronunciation: class system.mp3
- Plural: class systems
- The different levels (strata) in a class system are referred to as a class.
- There is an opportunity for advancement in a class system, but not a caste system. However, the amount of mobility in a class-based system is an oft debated and controversial topic.
- A type of stratification and system.
- Also called class society.
- Word origin of “class” and “system” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Bendix, Reinhard, ed. 1974. Class, Status and Power. 2nd ed. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- Crompton, Rosemary, F. Devine, M. Savage, and J. Scott, eds. 2000. Renewing Class Analysis. Oxford: Blackwell/The Sociological Review.
- Giddens, Anthony, and David Held, eds. 1982. Classes, Power and Conflict: Classical and Contemporary Debates. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Rosenblum, Karen Elaine, and Toni-Michelle Travis. 2016. The Meaning of Difference: American Constructions of Race, Sex and Gender, Social Class, Sexual Orientation, and Disability. 7th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Brinkerhoff, David, Lynn White, Suzanne Ortega, and Rose Weitz. 2011. Essentials of Sociology. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011. Seeing Sociology: An Introduction. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Kendall, Diane. 2011. Sociology in Our Times. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Kimmel, Michael S., and Amy Aronson. 2012. Sociology Now. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Macionis, John. 2012. Sociology. 14th ed. Boston: Pearson.
Marsh, Ian, and Mike Keating, eds. 2006. Sociology: Making Sense of Society. 3rd ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Schaefer, Richard. 2013. Sociology: A Brief Introduction. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Stolley, Kathy S. 2005. The Basics of Sociology. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
Thompson, William E., and Joseph V. Hickey. 2012. Society in Focus: An Introduction to Sociology. 7th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Tischler, Henry L. 2011. Introduction to Sociology. 10th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
How to Cite the Definition of Class System
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “class system.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 19, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/class-system/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
class system. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/class-system/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “class system.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 19, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/class-system/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“class system.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 19 Jan. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/class-system/>.