(noun) A belief system of many groups (particularly in Asia) that follows Buddhist doctrine as taught by Gautama Buddha.
Example: Zen Buddhism.
Audio Pronunciation: (Bud·dhism)
Download Audio Pronunciation: Buddhism.mp3
- Plural: Buddhisms
- A (noun) Buddhist is a person who practices (adjective) Buddhistic traditions.
- Religion Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “Buddhism” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Bailey, Greg, and Ian Mabbett. 2006. The Sociology of Early Buddhism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Ling, Trevor Oswald. 1980. Buddhist Revival in India: Aspects of the Sociology of Buddhism. New York: St. Martin’s Press.
- Weber, Max. 1916. The Religion of India: The Sociology of Hinduism and Buddhism.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Farlex. (N.d.) TheFreeDictionary.com: Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus. Farlex. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/).
Kimmel, Michael S., and Amy Aronson. 2012. Sociology Now. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Marsh, Ian, and Mike Keating, eds. 2006. Sociology: Making Sense of Society. 3rd ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
Princeton University. 2010. WordNet. (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wordnet/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
How to Cite the Definition of Buddhism
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “Buddhism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved June 27, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/buddhism/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
Buddhism. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/buddhism/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “Buddhism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed June 27, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/buddhism/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“Buddhism.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 27 Jun. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/buddhism/>.