(noun) Money or property given to the family of the bride either by the groom or on his behalf.
Audio Pronunciation: (bride price)
Download Audio Pronunciation: bride price.mp3
- Plural: bride prices
- This is a simplified definition of a vast continuum of societal and cultural practices.
- Bride price is viewed a compensating the bride’s family for the loss of her economic value in providing goods and services and a reflection of the grooms ability to provide for the bride and their offspring.
- In contrast to bride price, a dowry is the transfer of money or property to a woman’s husband from her parents when she gets married.
- Variant forms:
- Also called:
- bride gift (bride-gift, bridegift)
- bride token
- bride wealth (bride-wealth, bridewealth)
- marriage payment
- progeny price
- reverse dowry (reverse-dowry)
- Bride price used in a sentence: The people of Papua New Guinea use pigs to pay a bride price.
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “bride” and “price” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
How to Cite the Definition of Bride Price
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “bride price.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 26, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/bride-price/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
bride price. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/bride-price/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “bride price.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 26, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/bride-price/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“bride price.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 26 Mar. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/bride-price/>.